This is most certainly a Blast From the Past!
I created this piece about two and a half years ago. I was given several rolls of craft foam scraps from a friend. I hadn’t really thought about what I was going to do with it. I figured that I find some type of use for it…
Several months later, I finally did. Valentine’s Day was a few weeks away, and I wanted to create something that gave a nod to the holiday. I just didn’t want to do anything that was just hearts and flowers. For someone who wanted a heart so bad, it seemed appropriate to create this particular piece. Once I decided that I wanted to make the Tin Woodsman, I figured that I give myself the extra challenge of making a female version of it. Do something a little outside of the box. Ooohhh! Crazy!
I’ve worked with foam before but never really to the extent of what I did with this costume. For the most part, I was just playing it by ear and figuring it out along the way. For this, I used foam, a hot glue gun, and a heat gun. Once assembled, I coated it with primer and then metallic silver paint. I used a medium-sized paintbrush to give it that nice brushed steel effect.
I’m quite happy that I managed to take a few photos wearing it as well as having it on my dress form. It’s currently sitting deflated, cracked, and far from the splendid appearance that you see in the photo above in a closet. Next time, I must remember to give it more support to help hold its shape. Definitely looking forward to re-create this at a later date. And definitely using something that’s a bit more sturdy than the foam!
– Lee x
Well, I did it. I finally set up my Patreon…after having it sitting and collecting dust for a couple years now.
Currently, I have some of my Instax photos up as tier rewards. Their prices start at $1, so you get to decide how much you want to pay.
More rewards will be added as I create more Patreon-only content. Click on either photo to be taken to my Patreon account.
– Lee x
This is one of my original designs. Like most of my creations, this one probably came with a really crappy pre-design drawing. By drawing, I mean a terrible chicken scratch of a thing. I’ll have to find it and post it.
I created this dress for a photo shoot a year or so ago. My role was to be the Queen of Diamonds! Fortunately, in my hot mess of Wardrobe Madness, I had just enough red satin and gold satin fabric to make this dress. In retrospect, I wish I had made it longer (It’s about knee length on me.).
This dress was the first dress where I had attempted to make the princess sleeves. I actually stuffed it with tulle inside to make it more puffy to show the different colours in it. For the collar, I used a bit of a interface to stiffen it and have it stand up as straight as possible.
For the bodice section, I crisscrossed red and gold ribbon and placed AB rhinestones in the centre of each ‘diamond.’ Then as a final touch, I have gold braided trim around the bodice to accent it. To give it a full look, I believe I have three petticoats underneath the dress.
Like I said, I created this for a photo shoot. It’s been sitting in my wardrobe since, just waiting to be worn again. It certainly still has plenty of life left in it, and I’d love to use it again for another photo shoot. Now to find someone who’s my size…
– Lee x