As I clear up my space and put some order to the madness, I found that I have a nice collection of artificial flowers. By nice, I mean I had so much that these just needed to go! This is one of the creations I was working on during my time off.
I started with making a simple strappy dress using a green and white floral fabric . I gave it a pointed hem. I was limited on how much fabric I had with this, so I gave it a bottom layer of a light olive colour fabric. I wanted something slightly adjustable in sizing, so I ruched the waist with several rows of elastic. as well as a zip on the back. This was going to be my green faerie.
The leaves and flowers on this dress were hand sewn onto the dress. I could have opted for a much faster solution by just using my trusty hot glue gun to attach them, but I was afraid that I’d be too indecisive with the placement of the flowers. I didn’t quite build out the layout that I wanted. So hand sewing it was just in case I wanted to change things up.
I changed it up at least three times.
The edges are raw for the time being. I might distress them a bit more to make it a little more whimsical. Other than that, I think the one thing that’s missing now is a headpiece. So that’s something to consider adding to my list of projects!
This was a fun piece to create. The hand sewing was a bit time-consuming, but looking at the final results, it was worth it. This is definitely something I’d like to create more of. I still have plenty of leaves and flowers left over, so why not!
This is most certainly a Blast From the Past!
I created this piece about two and a half years ago. I was given several rolls of craft foam scraps from a friend. I hadn’t really thought about what I was going to do with it. I figured that I find some type of use for it…
Several months later, I finally did. Valentine’s Day was a few weeks away, and I wanted to create something that gave a nod to the holiday. I just didn’t want to do anything that was just hearts and flowers. For someone who wanted a heart so bad, it seemed appropriate to create this particular piece. Once I decided that I wanted to make the Tin Woodsman, I figured that I give myself the extra challenge of making a female version of it. Do something a little outside of the box. Ooohhh! Crazy!
I’ve worked with foam before but never really to the extent of what I did with this costume. For the most part, I was just playing it by ear and figuring it out along the way. For this, I used foam, a hot glue gun, and a heat gun. Once assembled, I coated it with primer and then metallic silver paint. I used a medium-sized paintbrush to give it that nice brushed steel effect.
I’m quite happy that I managed to take a few photos wearing it as well as having it on my dress form. It’s currently sitting deflated, cracked, and far from the splendid appearance that you see in the photo above in a closet. Next time, I must remember to give it more support to help hold its shape. Definitely looking forward to re-create this at a later date. And definitely using something that’s a bit more sturdy than the foam!
– Lee x
This is my second proper creation using craft foam. I made this a few months ago with no real direction on where I wanted to go with it. I just wanted to create something a little different from what I usually made.
The headpiece was the first piece that I worked on. I used Fosshape for the base and my trusty glue gun to put it all together. The scales were hand-cut by me.
The top was created because the headpiece was just screaming for a matching something. I was thinking of creating an entire outfit from head to toe with the craft foam, but it seemed complete with just the top and headpiece.
It’s not perfect. There’s definitely room for improving this for future creations. But for a first time piece, it’s not too shabby! I had originally intended on painting it, but I’ve been indecisive on what colours it should be. And so it remains as white as snow.
Now to find room for it…
– Lee x