Tag Archives: lee loo and the articles

Golden Beauty Mermaid Crown | The Articles

This crown is fit for a mermaid!

I don’t make headpieces too often, but when I do, they tend to have absolutely no relevance to anything that I’m currently working on. This one is no exception. As I was looking for other ways, besides sewing, to create this was a fun little side project to keep the inspiration flow going. It was also sitting collecting dust unfinished for the longest time. It was time that I finished this piece.

This mermaid crown headpiece thing was about three years in the making. For awhile, it sat as a giant, plain ring, a could-be would-be headpiece of some sort on my sewing table. After about a year and a half, the shells were added and the first layer of paint when on . It would be another year before it would finally be the headpiece that you see in the photo above.

I figured that this would be perfect for a gold and cream colour scheme. So the first layer of paint was  painting the shells ivory. The front is several large shells glued together. The top of the crown is decorated with small seashells delicately balanced along the rim.  I didn’t have enough shells to go all the way around, so I decorated the back with ‘scales,’ which I had individually hand cut from foam. To clean up a lot of the spaced gaps around the crown, I used dimensional fabric glue.

The rhinestones were added for a nice, glitzy touch to the piece. Okay, it’s a bit gaudy. I will admit that I did go a  wee bit overboard on the stones, but it’s a costume piece and there is no such thing as too much! I also think the gaudiness helps in having the piece transfer nicely in photos. Properly lit, it’ll show the shiny glitzy glam beast that it is. The pearl beading that’s draped around I thought was a nice added touch and looks even better when it’s worn and is draped over hair. It helps to give it that whimsical feel.

The final product is this glitzy piece of golden beauty! I don’t think I have any wardrobe that’ll go with it, but I suppose that’s just the perfect excuse to add some new wardrobe pieces to my collection.

I do hope to be able to use this piece for several different concepts. It’s just too pretty to just for one photo shoot! I’ve already used it once, and afterwards I just knew that I wasn’t done with it yet. So here’s hoping that I can dream up some beautiful concepts a few more times!

♥ Lee

Florals and Faeries | The Articles

As I clear up my space and put some order to the madness, I found that I have a nice collection of artificial flowers. By nice, I mean I had so much that these just needed to go! This is one of the creations I was working on during my time off.

I started with making a simple strappy dress using a green and white floral fabric . I gave it a pointed hem. I was limited on how much fabric I had with this, so I gave it a bottom layer of a light olive colour fabric. I wanted something slightly adjustable in sizing, so I ruched the waist with several rows of elastic. as well as a zip on the back. This was going to be my green faerie.

The leaves and flowers on this dress were hand sewn onto the dress. I could have opted for a much faster solution by just using my trusty hot glue gun to attach them, but I was afraid that I’d be too indecisive with the placement of the flowers. I didn’t quite build out the layout that I wanted. So hand sewing it was just in case I wanted to change things up.

I changed it up at least three times.

The edges are raw for the time being. I might distress them a bit more to make it a little more whimsical. Other than that, I think the one thing that’s missing now is a headpiece. So that’s something to consider adding to my list of projects!

This was a fun piece to create. The hand sewing was a bit time-consuming, but looking at the final results, it was worth it. This is definitely something I’d like to create more of. I still have plenty of leaves and flowers left over, so why not!


Lee

Petals in Denim | The Articles

I call this creation Petals in Denim.

This dress has been on my list to create for awhile now. Apart from the lace, the dress is made out of a pile of old jeans that’s been sitting in my sewing space for quite some time. I knew that I wanted to transform them into a dress of some sort.

The initial idea was to turn each pair of jeans into a one-of-a-kind dress. The more I thought about it, the less I was motivated to create a small collection of denim dresses. It just wasn’t the most appealing idea at the time. Well, it still isn’t an appealing idea to me, really…

The idea behind the design didn’t come to mind until a few weeks ago. Most of the jeans were varying shades of blue, so I thought it would be a cool idea to give the dress an ombre effect. Despite having several pairs of jeans to work with for this creation, I didn’t want to get too carried away and end up having an unfinished dress on my dress form, so the petals were an ideal shape and design to give it length and coverage at the same time.

The v-lacing around the neck was a last minute addition to the dress. I thought the neckline was a little too strong and wanted to soften its intensity.

Overall, I’m quite proud of how this turned out. I currently don’t have a particular concept planned for this (as with most of my designs when I create them), but I’m sure I’ll dream up something.


Lee

Support my art: