Tag Archives: sewing

Florals and Faeries | The Articles

As I clear up my space and put some order to the madness, I found that I have a nice collection of artificial flowers. By nice, I mean I had so much that these just needed to go! This is one of the creations I was working on during my time off.

I started with making a simple strappy dress using a green and white floral fabric . I gave it a pointed hem. I was limited on how much fabric I had with this, so I gave it a bottom layer of a light olive colour fabric. I wanted something slightly adjustable in sizing, so I ruched the waist with several rows of elastic. as well as a zip on the back. This was going to be my green faerie.

The leaves and flowers on this dress were hand sewn onto the dress. I could have opted for a much faster solution by just using my trusty hot glue gun to attach them, but I was afraid that I’d be too indecisive with the placement of the flowers. I didn’t quite build out the layout that I wanted. So hand sewing it was just in case I wanted to change things up.

I changed it up at least three times.

The edges are raw for the time being. I might distress them a bit more to make it a little more whimsical. Other than that, I think the one thing that’s missing now is a headpiece. So that’s something to consider adding to my list of projects!

This was a fun piece to create. The hand sewing was a bit time-consuming, but looking at the final results, it was worth it. This is definitely something I’d like to create more of. I still have plenty of leaves and flowers left over, so why not!


Lee

Dressed in Red and Gold | The Articles


This is one of my original designs. Like most of my creations, this one probably came with a really crappy pre-design drawing. By drawing, I mean a terrible chicken scratch of a thing. I’ll have to find it and post it.

I created this dress for a photo shoot a year or so ago. My role was to be the Queen of Diamonds! Fortunately, in my hot mess of Wardrobe Madness, I had just enough red satin and gold satin fabric to make this dress. In retrospect, I wish I had made it longer (It’s about knee length on me.).

This dress was the first dress where I had attempted to make the princess sleeves. I actually stuffed it with tulle inside to make it more puffy to show the different colours in it. For the collar, I used a bit of a interface to stiffen it and have it stand up as straight as possible.

For the bodice section, I crisscrossed red and gold ribbon and placed AB rhinestones in the centre of each ‘diamond.’ Then as a final touch, I have gold braided trim around the bodice to accent it. To give it a full look, I believe I have three petticoats underneath the dress.

Like I said, I created this for a photo shoot. It’s been sitting in my wardrobe since, just waiting to be worn again. It certainly still has plenty of life left in it, and I’d love to use it again for another photo shoot. Now to find someone who’s my size…

– Lee x

Support my art: