Tag Archives: wardrobe mistress

Golden Glam | The Articles

It’s been a rocky relationship with sequin fabrics. The last time I worked with sequins, I ended up breaking my machines. From piles of broken needles to broken internal parts, I finally had had enough and just cut the cord with the fabric (and briefly with sewing). I swore off working with sequins ever again.

It was the breakup that I needed and more importantly, it was the push that I was well overdue for. Like my machines, I broke down. I had to reassess my creative path, or rather my sort of deviation from it. I was still being creative, but I was doing it primarily because it was paying the bills.

There wasn’t any heart in it. I knew it well before my machines broke down,  but I told myself to just keep up with it. Once they did break, however, I had little desire to sew for awhile. My now broken machines collected dust and the piles of fabric remained untouched.

For awhile,  I found other ways to be creative.

Then this happened:

This is the first time that I’ve worked with sequins in a very long time. I was quite hesitant, given our history, so I just took the most utmost of cares with it as I ran it through my machine.

It was almost a given that this sequins fabric would be a long elegant dress. The way it pooled into my hands when I picked it up, I knew that I wanted the bottom of the dress to do just that. This was going to be a simple dress, but I wanted to give it some character/edge. It just so happens that I have a roll of gold chain that I’ve been trying to find a use for.

Done. Sorted. Awesome.

I rarely make dresses in my size, mainly because I find those hard to sell. This time, I made an exception. I’ve been slacking on my photography, and I’m even worse with keeping up regularly with my self-portrait work. I figured that making this beautiful creation will give me the motivation and inspiration to get clicking and creating.

I still have another pile of sequins fabric that I plan on tackling. Eventually.  No rush.

♥ Lee

Florals and Faeries | The Articles

As I clear up my space and put some order to the madness, I found that I have a nice collection of artificial flowers. By nice, I mean I had so much that these just needed to go! This is one of the creations I was working on during my time off.

I started with making a simple strappy dress using a green and white floral fabric . I gave it a pointed hem. I was limited on how much fabric I had with this, so I gave it a bottom layer of a light olive colour fabric. I wanted something slightly adjustable in sizing, so I ruched the waist with several rows of elastic. as well as a zip on the back. This was going to be my green faerie.

The leaves and flowers on this dress were hand sewn onto the dress. I could have opted for a much faster solution by just using my trusty hot glue gun to attach them, but I was afraid that I’d be too indecisive with the placement of the flowers. I didn’t quite build out the layout that I wanted. So hand sewing it was just in case I wanted to change things up.

I changed it up at least three times.

The edges are raw for the time being. I might distress them a bit more to make it a little more whimsical. Other than that, I think the one thing that’s missing now is a headpiece. So that’s something to consider adding to my list of projects!

This was a fun piece to create. The hand sewing was a bit time-consuming, but looking at the final results, it was worth it. This is definitely something I’d like to create more of. I still have plenty of leaves and flowers left over, so why not!


Lee

The Tin Woodsman: Female Version | Craft Foam Chronicles

This is most certainly a Blast From the Past!

I created this piece about two and a half years ago. I was given several rolls of craft foam scraps from a friend. I hadn’t really thought about what I was going to do with it. I figured that I find some type of use for it…

Several months later, I finally did. Valentine’s Day was a few weeks away, and I wanted to  create something that gave a nod to the holiday. I just didn’t want to do anything that was just hearts and flowers. For someone who wanted a heart so bad, it seemed appropriate to create this particular piece. Once I decided that I wanted to make the Tin Woodsman, I figured that I give myself the extra challenge of making a female version of it. Do something a little outside of the box. Ooohhh! Crazy!

I’ve worked with foam before but never really to the extent of what I did with this costume. For the most part, I was just playing it by ear and figuring it out along the way. For this, I used foam, a hot glue gun, and a heat gun. Once assembled, I coated it with primer and then metallic silver paint. I used a medium-sized paintbrush to give it that nice brushed steel effect.

I’m quite happy that I managed to take a few photos wearing it as well as having it on my dress form. It’s currently sitting deflated, cracked, and far from the splendid appearance that you see in the photo above in a closet. Next time, I must remember to give it more support to help hold its shape. Definitely looking forward to re-create this at a later date. And definitely using something that’s a bit more sturdy than the foam!

– Lee x

Support my art: