Tag Archives: wardrobe mistressness

Keep It Sheer And Let It Sparkle | Lee Loo And The Articles

It’s clear to see that my fascination with creating big dresses hasn’t waned. If anything, it’s grown even more. I can hear my wardrobe groaning at the very thought of that. After I made this, I told myself that maybe maybe I should take a break from creating big dresses so that I can catch up in using them for photo concepts. I’ve been telling myself that for awhile now, and I’ve failed to follow that suggestion every single time. When inspiration hits, I must create!

The idea for this dress started with the lace portion of the top. It’s a top that I had made awhile ago as an addition to my photo shoot wardrobe. I had hung onto it for so long because I couldn’t bear to part with it. So I gave it new life and a new purpose by incorporating it into a new design. The blue top of the dress was something that I had made for another project. I ended up not using it for anything, and it remained hidden in my pile of fabrics…until now.

The skirt portion is made with two different organza fabrics that I already had in my stash. To satisfy my love for big dresses, I used as much of it as possible, allowing it to gather nicely at the bottom. With this dress, I’ve clearly disregarded the thought of even trying to walk in this. You just can’t. You just stand there and look pretty.

I’m really looking forward to creating some pretty photos with this. Hopefully this will happen soon.

♥ Lee

Golden Glam | The Articles

It’s been a rocky relationship with sequin fabrics. The last time I worked with sequins, I ended up breaking my machines. From piles of broken needles to broken internal parts, I finally had had enough and just cut the cord with the fabric (and briefly with sewing). I swore off working with sequins ever again.

It was the breakup that I needed and more importantly, it was the push that I was well overdue for. Like my machines, I broke down. I had to reassess my creative path, or rather my sort of deviation from it. I was still being creative, but I was doing it primarily because it was paying the bills.

There wasn’t any heart in it. I knew it well before my machines broke down,  but I told myself to just keep up with it. Once they did break, however, I had little desire to sew for awhile. My now broken machines collected dust and the piles of fabric remained untouched.

For awhile,  I found other ways to be creative.

Then this happened:

This is the first time that I’ve worked with sequins in a very long time. I was quite hesitant, given our history, so I just took the most utmost of cares with it as I ran it through my machine.

It was almost a given that this sequins fabric would be a long elegant dress. The way it pooled into my hands when I picked it up, I knew that I wanted the bottom of the dress to do just that. This was going to be a simple dress, but I wanted to give it some character/edge. It just so happens that I have a roll of gold chain that I’ve been trying to find a use for.

Done. Sorted. Awesome.

I rarely make dresses in my size, mainly because I find those hard to sell. This time, I made an exception. I’ve been slacking on my photography, and I’m even worse with keeping up regularly with my self-portrait work. I figured that making this beautiful creation will give me the motivation and inspiration to get clicking and creating.

I still have another pile of sequins fabric that I plan on tackling. Eventually.  No rush.

♥ Lee

Florals and Faeries | The Articles

As I clear up my space and put some order to the madness, I found that I have a nice collection of artificial flowers. By nice, I mean I had so much that these just needed to go! This is one of the creations I was working on during my time off.

I started with making a simple strappy dress using a green and white floral fabric . I gave it a pointed hem. I was limited on how much fabric I had with this, so I gave it a bottom layer of a light olive colour fabric. I wanted something slightly adjustable in sizing, so I ruched the waist with several rows of elastic. as well as a zip on the back. This was going to be my green faerie.

The leaves and flowers on this dress were hand sewn onto the dress. I could have opted for a much faster solution by just using my trusty hot glue gun to attach them, but I was afraid that I’d be too indecisive with the placement of the flowers. I didn’t quite build out the layout that I wanted. So hand sewing it was just in case I wanted to change things up.

I changed it up at least three times.

The edges are raw for the time being. I might distress them a bit more to make it a little more whimsical. Other than that, I think the one thing that’s missing now is a headpiece. So that’s something to consider adding to my list of projects!

This was a fun piece to create. The hand sewing was a bit time-consuming, but looking at the final results, it was worth it. This is definitely something I’d like to create more of. I still have plenty of leaves and flowers left over, so why not!


Lee

Support my art: