I call this creation Petals in Denim.
This dress has been on my list to create for awhile now. Apart from the lace, the dress is made out of a pile of old jeans that’s been sitting in my sewing space for quite some time. I knew that I wanted to transform them into a dress of some sort.
The initial idea was to turn each pair of jeans into a one-of-a-kind dress. The more I thought about it, the less I was motivated to create a small collection of denim dresses. It just wasn’t the most appealing idea at the time. Well, it still isn’t an appealing idea to me, really…
The idea behind the design didn’t come to mind until a few weeks ago. Most of the jeans were varying shades of blue, so I thought it would be a cool idea to give the dress an ombre effect. Despite having several pairs of jeans to work with for this creation, I didn’t want to get too carried away and end up having an unfinished dress on my dress form, so the petals were an ideal shape and design to give it length and coverage at the same time.
The v-lacing around the neck was a last minute addition to the dress. I thought the neckline was a little too strong and wanted to soften its intensity.
Overall, I’m quite proud of how this turned out. I currently don’t have a particular concept planned for this (as with most of my designs when I create them), but I’m sure I’ll dream up something.
This is one of my latest creations. This fabric had been sitting around my sewing space for some time now, but I just didn’t know what kind of dress I wanted to create with it…until now.
This semi-sheer lace beauty is simple, elegant, and just a hint of sexy. When I was thinking of creating with this fabric, I just knew that it had to be a nice long dress with a pretty train in the back. When deciding the style for the upper portion of the dress, I think I just ended up overthinking it, which led me to just not creating this for awhile. Eventually, I settled on something simple.
The fabric itself was eye-catching enough that I didn’t feel that I had to do too much for this to be an eye-catching piece. It already spoke for itself. The soft bell sleeves are one of my favourite things to add on to my creations. It gives the creation an almost goddess-like presence.
I’m quite proud of this piece. It’s definitely a wonderful addition to add to my photo shoot wardrobe.
I haven’t thought much about the next step for this, which is a photo shoot (duh!). It’s definitely not my size, so I hope to find a model to wear this for a photo shoot in the future. In the meantime, I can dream up a concept for this dress!
This is one of my original designs. Like most of my creations, this one probably came with a really crappy pre-design drawing. By drawing, I mean a terrible chicken scratch of a thing. I’ll have to find it and post it.
I created this dress for a photo shoot a year or so ago. My role was to be the Queen of Diamonds! Fortunately, in my hot mess of Wardrobe Madness, I had just enough red satin and gold satin fabric to make this dress. In retrospect, I wish I had made it longer (It’s about knee length on me.).
This dress was the first dress where I had attempted to make the princess sleeves. I actually stuffed it with tulle inside to make it more puffy to show the different colours in it. For the collar, I used a bit of a interface to stiffen it and have it stand up as straight as possible.
For the bodice section, I crisscrossed red and gold ribbon and placed AB rhinestones in the centre of each ‘diamond.’ Then as a final touch, I have gold braided trim around the bodice to accent it. To give it a full look, I believe I have three petticoats underneath the dress.
Like I said, I created this for a photo shoot. It’s been sitting in my wardrobe since, just waiting to be worn again. It certainly still has plenty of life left in it, and I’d love to use it again for another photo shoot. Now to find someone who’s my size…
– Lee x